An Early Start To An Extraordinary Future!
What is Transitional Kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten is a bridge between preschool and kindergarten for children who will benefit from additional preparation prior to entering kindergarten.
Valor Christian Academy’s Transitional Kindergarten program gives children the gift of time to build the necessary social and academic skills for success throughout their school experience. Transitional Kindergarten is based on the California Kindergarten Standards, including instruction focused on literacy and numeracy and a strong emphasis on self-regulation, social skills, and responsibility.
Transitional Kindergarten is taught by loving and highly qualified credentialed teachers with additional training in child development.
How Is Transitional Kindergarten Different From Preschool & Kindergarten?
Transitional Kindergarten provides a more structured daily schedule than preschool classes, but also has a more relaxed schedule and pacing than a regular kindergarten class. Transitional Kindergarten serves as a step between the two levels, building confidence and preparing children for success in kindergarten and beyond. Transitional Kindergarten places more emphasis on one-on-one attention and differentiated instruction while group work is more prominent in kindergarten.
To be eligible for Kindergarten, a student must turn 5 by December 1st. To be eligible for Transitional Kindergarten, a student must turn 5 by December 31st.
How Is The Classroom Program Structured?
Transitional Kindergarten is a full-day program, M-F, 8:15 am – 3:00 pm. Valor also offers before and after school care and enrichment.
The daily schedule includes whole group interactions and activities, small group instruction, and independent, hands-on learning.
Because it is part of our Elementary School, Transitional Kindergarten also includes music, art, physical education, chapel, in-house field trips, and all Valor Christian Academy events and extra-curricular activities.
What Are The Benefits of Transitional Kindergarten?
Just as children learn to walk and talk at various rates of developmental growth, children’s academic readiness occurs at different times. Transitional Kindergarten prepares students for the social and academic expectations of kindergarten the following year.
What Sets Valor Christian Academy Apart?
- Christian Values & Family-Friendly Environment
- Small Class Sizes
- Rigorous Academics
- STEAM Program
- Engaging Extra-Curricular and Co-Curricular Activities
- Excellent Standardized Test Scores
- Credentialed Faculty
- Full WASC Accreditation
- Amazing Community of Families
- Helping children grow a living faith in a loving God
- Concepts of printing/fine motor skills
- Oral language
- Phonological awareness
- Vocabulary development
- Listening and comprehension
- Concepts of numbers (counting, naming, comparing, ordering objects)
- Numeric representation
- Concepts of addition and subtraction
- Sorting/classifying objects by attributes
- Geometric shapes
- Problem solving
- Home, family, classroom community
- Contributing as members of a group
- Problem solving
- Life Science, Physical Science, Earth Science
- Observe, investigate, predict, experiment
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics):
- Weekly hands-on projects incorporating process-based learning, creativity, and teamwork
- Full-time STEAM teacher and dedicated STEAM classroom
- Special Young at Art Project eight times per year
- Keyboarding and mouse skills
- Computer class meets once per week
Spanish & Italian
- Students learn Spanish and Italian from teachers fluent in these languages
- Spanish and Italian are taught once per week
P.E. (Physical Education)
- P.E. is taught by our Athletic Director once per week